Sunday, January 24, 2010

High Maintenance or Just High??

I've been feeling a little down this weekend. Call it a bad case of a midlife crisis coming on or vitamin D deficiency from these gloomy days, but it's still not pleasant either way. I tried to cheer myself up a little by curling up under a blanket on the couch and watching some old movies. I watched about an hour of "Big Fat Liar" and then later saw "School of Rock". School of Rock was the better of the two. I didn't think I'd like it, but it did turn out to be really cute.

I've been having a bit of an internal struggle with something lately. I just wonder which is worse...to be high maintenance or not "feminine" enough. I think I fall right in the middle, which is just damning either way. I'm definitely not a full-fledged girly girl. I don't have my hair done every couple weeks by a stylist. I've never had a facial or a manicure. I don't exfoliate, moisturize or pluck every stay eyebrow on a daily basis. I do however wear makeup, insist on a shower every day (unless I'm really sick), and occasionally wear a skirt if the weather is over 60 degrees. Does this make me a girly-girl, or not enough of one? If I'm too girly to be a football fan or know how to change a tire, does that make me a wimp? If I don't care if my hair blows free when the window is down in a car or wear a sweat shirt in public, does that make me trashy or butch? Just how much of a lady do you have to be to be a woman in a man's eyes? Do most women try too much or not enough? If we're comfortable in our own skin, is that plenty or are we somehow disappointing the ones we care most about unintentionally?

Answers anyone? I'm curious.

4 comments:

  1. Personally I think that if you are happy and comfortable in your own skin then that is what matters most. I am not feminine at all! I dont wear makeup,have no desire to wear a skirt or dress and my hair...well these curls have an agenda all their own! I would much rather watch football on Sundays then go shopping or get my nails done(which I have never done in my life!). I've never understood the women(and men)who try so hard to be something they arent just to please others. I think that must be a sad and lonely life to worry so much about what others think.

    If Jim told me he was disappointed that I wasnt more girly I would have to ask him where he has been the last 18 yrs. This is who I am, and always have been. The ones you care about most and vice versa know who you are and always have been and if they've cared from the beginning its because they love you just as you are, no questions asked. Would Jim like to see me in a dress? Yeah, he would but he knows that isnt me and he accepts that.

    I think you are who you are, and you are a good person, girly or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lisa. I don't think it should matter. I can definitely tell you are a girl. Who cares if you are a girly-girl or not? Be who you are and be happy. You are a great person and that's all that matters. Look at it this way, at least you aren't like Pat from SNL and nobody can tell whether you are a boy or a girl. You are a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I just got really depressed hearing a conversation between two of my co-workers last week. They both were talking about how they would never be caught dead having their hair cut outside of their selected salons. Both of them said that they pay at least $100.00 for a haircut, because "you get what you pay for." Basically, if you want to look nice, you better pay the price. I cringed, because in all honesty, I don't think I've ever paid more than $20.00 for a hair cut in my life. I'm embarrassed to say how many times I've trimmed my own bangs. I felt kind of trashy hearing them talk.

    Thanks for letting me know I don't look like Pat Jeremy! I just hope I don't look like someone on that "People of Walmart" website. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are full of crap and honestly, I think its really sad that they feel like that.Boy I wish I was there for that conversation :) You know where I get my hair cut? The house of Jim! Yep, I hand Jimbo the scissors and tell him how many inches to take off. With my curly hair you wouldnt notice even if he did screw up,LOL.

    And there is no way that you resemble the folks on that Wal-Mart website!!

    ReplyDelete